Beverley was one of the first areas in Western Australia
opened for agriculture after a glowing report to Governor Stirling by
Ensign Dale. Dale made three excursions to the York/Beverley area, the
first in 1829 and the last in 1830 when he was accompanied by Governor
Large tracts of land were taken up following the Governor's excursion
and the first in the Beverley district was taken up by the Colonial Surgeon,
Dr. Charles Simmons.Dr. Simmons was granted some 2,850 hectares on the
Eastern bank of the Avon River in January 1831 and it is a common belief
that Beverley was named after Beverley in Yorkshire which was Dr. Simmon's
Official survey of the Beverley district took place in 1843. The Beverley
townsite was established around 1868 and it's status was enhanced with
the extension of the electric telegraph from York in 1877.
The Beverley Road District was one of the nineteen local authorities established
in 1871 under the Municipalities and Roads District Act. The original
Beverley Road District was in excess of 150,000 square kilometres and
included the present Shires of Beverley, Brookton, Quairading, Bruce Rock,
Corrigin, Pingelly, Narembeen, Kondinin, Dundas and a portion of Cuballing,
Wickepin Wandering and Kulin.
On the 31st. March 1892, the Beverley townsite became a separate municipality
under the name of "The Burgesses of the Town of Beverley". Shortly
thereafter in October 1895, an East Beverley organisation known as the
Farmers and Settlers Association successfully petitioned to create the
East Beverley Road Board.
These small localities were short lived, with the East Beverley Road Board
dissolving in 1906 after eleven years and the Burgesses of the Town of
Beverley following the same fate in 1913, after only twenty one years.
Both were absorbed back into the Beverley Road Board. The change of name
to the Shire of Beverley from the Beverley Road Board occurred in 1961.
In 1886, the Southern rail link from Perth was extended to Beverley, which
was the terminus for three years until the connection to Albany was established.
A pipeline to connect Beverley with the Goldfields water supply scheme
was completed in 1908 and the first powerhouse to generate electricity
for the town was established under private ownership in 1913.